Are you overworked and overwhelmed? Do you even know what it feels like to take time for yourself and not feel bad about it? These are important questions for any mama who is seeking a stress-free day to ask themselves. Many women make the mistake of believing that they don’t deserve happiness and accept their unhappy state as their norm. The truth of the matter is that happiness, like anything else in life, needs to be nurtured. The following are a few tips that I follow to create a happy, stress-free life.
- Understand what it is that will make you happy. Everyone has something unique that brings them peace. For me, starting my day with meditation and prayer is a must if I want to be at the top of my game. If you can’t think of anything that is uniquely you, that’s okay. Try asking a friend what they like to do to relax when they’re stressed and try as many suggestions as you can until you find something that sticks.
- Make a plan for attaining goals that you believe will make you happy. When I was in college, my #1 mood booster was acing a test. I would study like crazy just to feel the rush of accomplishing something that I could call my mom and brag about. It felt so good to make her proud. Now, I try to impress my clients as many times as I can because it makes me feel good that they are getting the very best service that I can provide. What goals can you set and attain today that will make you happy?
- Surround yourself with happy people. It is easy to begin to think negatively when you are surrounded by people who think that way. Try deleting a few of those negative Nancy’s off of your Facebook timeline today.
- When something goes wrong try to figure out a solution instead of wallowing in self pity. Truly happy people don’t allow set backs to affect their mood. Life goes on! Look for a solution and keep on trucking!
- Spend a few minutes each day thinking about the things that make you happy. These few minutes will give you the opportunity to focus on the positive things in your life and will lead you to continued happiness.
- It’s also important to take some time each day to do something nice for yourself. Whether you treat yourself to lunch, take a long, relaxing bath or simply spend a few extra minutes on your appearance you will be subconsciously putting yourself in a better mood.
- Finding the humor in situations can also lead to happiness. While there are times that require you to be serious, when it is appropriate, find a way to make light of a situation that would otherwise make you unhappy.
- Maintaining your health is another way to achieve happiness. Being overweight or not eating nutritious foods can have a negative effect on your mood. Additionally, exercise has been known to release endorphins that give you a feeling of happiness.
- Finally, it is important to understand that you deserve happiness. Those who believe that they are not worthy of happiness may subconsciously sabotage their efforts to achieve happiness. If necessary, tell yourself each day that you deserve to be happy and remind yourself what steps you will take to achieve the happiness you desire.
Happiness is hard to define but most people are aware of whether they are happy or not. Many people believe that happiness is a form of luck and that some people are destined to be happy while others are destined to be unhappy. I try to incorporate the tips above into my life and have had great success in achieving happiness. The tips in this article are small but meaningful steps that you can take each day to lead you to true happiness.